The Nutritionnal Inquiry Diagram (NID) was développed by Didier Buffet. Innovation Price ANVAR BOURGOGNE 2004
This tool has different goals:
The main idea is to answer several questions: What is the best metabolic profile for each chemotherapy to ensure maximum response and minimum failure and toxicity? Is the body surface still the best way to assess the proper dosage of chemotherapy? The metabolic profile could prove itself better than the body surface? We should adjust the dosage according to the ability for a patient to transport a chemotherapy? The Nutritional Inquiry Diagram could be the reference tool for measuring the metabolic capacity of a patient and his ability to properly metabolize chemotherapy.
This tool also allows to propose a weighted average indicator of the prevalence of undernutrition in an hospital medical department to better manage undernutrition in the long term.
A validation study is in preparation by Prof. Franck Bonnetain Biostatistician at the University Hospital of Besancon.
Objectives of the Tool
- Graduate the Patients Nutritional Status in four homogeneous risk groups.
- Offer some medical services a long-term use of the tool to assess, monitor the nutritional status of their patients (oncology, internal medicine, hematology, geriatrics, general medicine, nursing homes)
- Optimize responses of chemotherapy and reduce their toxicity by proposing expensive drugs only to patients having a functional metabolism.
- Anonymize patients to propose the use of statistics by gender, age, socio-professional categories, chronic diseases, etc.
- Evaluate the impact of nutritional status on health (infectious episode, responses to chemotherapy, falls, disorientation, bedsores, etc.)
- Delay the entry into old age dependency Reduce health expenses related to undernutrition in the elderly and / or frail patients Develop epidemiology of Protein-energy malnutrition and propose the tool to Medical and Research Associations and Health authorities (HAS) Propose the tool in different languages Create an international Observatory of the Nutritional Status
- Develop strategies against the undernutrition throughout the World
- Test and evaluate oral, enteral and parenteral renutrition.